The client in Dayton, Ohio, requested assistance in updating a plant-wide electrical area classification map for use as reference and future construction guidance. The evaluation included three different process areas and multiple sub-areas to be assessed and assigned classifications according to NFPA 497 and 499 criteria. The project includes multiple areas as plant production schedules permitted evaluation, and will be completed in multiple stages to accommodate budgetary requirements.
To date, ADF has provided electrical engineering services to include:
- Completed on-site walk downs with the client of the first 3 areas to be assessed for classification during multiple site visits.
- Provided a multi-page report detailing observations, recommendations and explanation of findings in accordance with NPFA and OSHA criteria.
- Provided plan view drawings and elevation view drawings of the areas assessed.
- Performed calculations of hazardous area materials based on KST ranges provided by client.
- Phase 2 of the project will be to utilize the classification drawings and layouts to perform site audits of the electrical equipment within the hazardous areas and generate a report with findings and recommendations for upgrades or replacements.